When logging data using the Logger Admin the user will need to first create a dataset in the historian prior to logging data. Otherwise, the historian will not know where to store it, and the data will buffer in the Sender.
How do I create and configure datasets?
To create a dataset, users will need to:
- Open the Canary Admin.
- Select the Historian tile.
- Once inside the Historian tile, click on the Configuration tab at the bottom of the screen.
To create a new dataset:
- Select NEW and name the DataSet.
- By default, a folder will be created in C:\Historian Data where the data will be stored. You can change this location by editing the Path parameter.
How do I log tags to a dataset?
To add tags to your dataset:
- Open the Logger Admin and click on File>New Log Session.
- Name the log session then type in the machine name or IP address of the historian in the "Historian Computer" field. (* If the historian is on the local machine this field can be left blank, and it will resolve to the localhost.)
- Type in the machine name or IP address of the OPC server in the "Computer" field. (* If the OPC server is on the local machine this field can be left blank, and it will resolve to the localhost. Once this is specified you can click on the ellipsis button next to the "OPC Server" field to browse for the OPC server.
- Click Edit>Browse OPC Server... or right click on the dark grey portion of the screen to browse for tags in the OPC server.
- Use the "Name Prefix" drop-down menu to select the dataset you created in the historian. If a dataset is not chosen, the data will not get logged in the historian. Tag names in the Logger Admin MUST have the dataset prepended to them.
- Select the tags to add to the dataset, then click Apply or OK.
- Once the tags are added click the green Apply button, save your session, then "Start" logging.